When it comes to style in the ’80s, they were brutal. From the giant hair perms to the suffocating leotards to the blue eyeshadow was their fashion statement! No other decade is as popular as the ‘80s. As fashion revolves, certain trends are making their way back into pop culture.
Scarf prints, bike shorts, metallic glam and basic blazers are a tip of the iceberg. Designers like Versace, Alexander Wang, and Marc Jacobs are revisiting the ‘80s in ways that suits the current age and time. Here are 5 ’80s-inspired outfits you should try out!
1. Scarf Print: This was made famous by Versace’s iconic mashup of chains, laurel leafs, and more. Try an outfit by styling wild prints together, or pare it back with your favorite pair of jeans.
2. Basic Blazers: A Glen plaid style was the blazer to own last fall, but we’re back to ’80s basics this season. With the borrowed from your dad fit (cut wider with sculptural shoulder pads), pop them over any outfit— casual denim, floral dresses, or as Célinesuggested, over a party dress
3. Micro Skirts: This spring, show a little leg. Well, it’s more like a lot of leg. Micro skirts are back, and you can thank Alexander Wang and his Axl Rose inspiration. An oversized biker jacket on top balances out the tiny proportions of the bottom.
4. Biker Shorts: Kim Kardashian has been trying to convince us to wear biker shorts for a minute, and we’re finally starting to listen. Bella Hadid at Fendi is a quirky example of wearing them IRL, but minus the accessories out and it’s perfect for a brunch date with your girls.
5. Metallic Glam: The ’80s was a big decade: big hair, big shoulders, and big statements for a night out. Spotted this past season at Dundas and Balmain, these outfits might seem difficult but you can tone them down with minimal jewelry and sleek heels. Jem and the Holograms would be proud.