Keeping “down there” Healthy
I’m sure we are all familiar with tips on how to keep our skin and hair healthy but are we familiar with ways to keeping down there healthy?
Vagina also known as the “down there” is a tube of muscle inside a woman’s body that runs from the cervix (the opening of the womb) to the vaginal opening. The external sex organs, which are called the vulva, surround the vaginal opening.
Educating yourself about the right way to stay clean, choosing the right foods to boost your vaginal health and exercising your vagina are all ways to keep down there healthy. Here are some tips you can follow for a healthy vagina;
1. Avoid beauty products: Most of us have the idea that it is supposed to smell like flowers, well they are not so let’s not have that idea in our heads. The vagina is self cleansing because of the presence of some healthy bacteria. Avoid all sprays, lotions, douches and deodorants as they cause more harm than good by washing out all these bacteria. They cause irritation to the vagina.
2. Wipe from front to back: It is very important to wipe from front to the back and not the other way around to prevent fecal matter from getting into the vagina and causing infection.
3. Adopt healthy lifestyles: Wearing cotton underwear is healthy as it dries easily and allows the free flow of air which gets rid of damp conditions that promotes the growth of yeast and unhealthy bacteria. If you have to wear underwear made of synthetic, fabrics ensure that the part touching the vagina is lined with cotton.
Another healthy lifestyle to adopt is good hygiene during your menstrual cycle, many women experience an increased rate of vaginal infections when they’re menstruating, since having blood in the vagina changes its pH and throws things out of balance. To prevent this change your pads or tampons regularly.
4. Eating and exercising well:
- Eat yogurts; they have the same type of “healthy” bacteria that is in your vagina. Making yogurt part of your daily diet can help replenish lost bacteria and it’s a great way to prevent and treat yeast infections.
- Eat lots of fruits; such as cranberries, pineapples, strawberries, and other fruits help to freshen the smell of the liquids secreted by the vagina. Eating fruits won’t exactly make your vagina smell fruity, but it can help you develop a more pleasant scent if that’s something you’re concerned about. Fruit also has high water content, and staying hydrated helps flush the body of toxins that can lead to bad smells.
- Do kegel exercise; Kegel exercises strengthen the pelvic floor muscles and the pubococcygeus muscle. These muscles tend to get looser and weaker with age and after giving birth. Strengthening them can help you avoid issues like urinary incontinence. To do this exercise, locate your pelvic floor muscle and to do this pretend you are stopping urinating in midstream. The muscles you use to stop are the ones you are targeting with kegels, then tighten the muscles and hold for three seconds, then release. Repeat this 15 times. Continue doing kegel exercises daily, holding for longer and adding more repetitions as you gain control.
So kamdolls, would you follow these tips and keep “down there” healthy? we love to hear from you, leave your views by commenting below… xoxo