Have you ever been in a room with someone that snores, well you don’t have to answer that question because I know the answer!!! Almost everybody snores occasionally, but some people snores habitually, the truth is when you snore frequently then something is amiss, this act affects your good sleep and also those close to you feel disturbed.
Snoring can lead to several things like increased fatigue, Irritability, health problem, and lastly but very important, it can cause your loved ones, friends, family awake. Most times the conclusion would be “I will sleep in a separate room” but trust me that is not the only remedy.
Basically, snoring occurs when air cannot move freely through the nose and throat during sleep, this makes the surrounding tissues vibrate which subsequently produces the “snoring sound”. What then are the causes of snoring:
- Being overweight\Out of Shape: Being overweight has a lot to do it with snoring, some fatty tissue and poor muscle tone contributes to it. At times you necessarily don’t have to be overweight before snoring, the excess weight around the neck /throat region can cause snoring. Therefore the best method to curb this is by exercising, so one can lose weight.
- Age: Age can also be a vital cause of snoring, the functionality of the throat becomes narrow and the muscle tone in the throat decreases as one reaches the middle age.
- Sleeping Position: The position one sleeps at times dictates if one would snore, when one sleeps flat on the back it causes the flesh of the throat to relax and block the airway.
- Nasal Blockage: At times airway can be blocked and one gets a stuffy nose which makes inhalation difficult and creates a vacuum in the throat thereby causing snoring.
How to reduce or stop snoring
- Lose weight
- Regular sleep Pattern
- Avoid Alcohol
- Quit Smoking
- Reduce the intake of sedatives