Cracked feet as the name implies are cracks in the heels of our foot. They can be caused by various things some of which include; lack of attention to the feet, lack of moisturizing, some medical conditions, naturally dry skin, nutrient deficiency, prolonged standing and so on.
Cracked feet can get embarrassing and sometimes painful if the cracks deepen. This causes us to hide our feet from people. Most times it is the lack of attention to our feet that causes it to crack but if you already have cracked feet, not to worry there are some home remedies you can adopt to deal with them.
Home remedies for cracked feet
- Use honey: Honey is a good moisturizing agent and a good humectant. This is especially good for people that have cracked feet caused by dryness. Honey can be used in one of two ways;
- Honey soak; mix a cup of honey in a half a bucket of warm water, mix well and soak your feet in it for like 20 minutes then scrub your feet gently to remove dry skin. Do this once or twice a week.
- Honey cream; heat a cup of honey slightly and add 2 tablespoons of liquid milk. To this mixture, add freshly squeezed juice from an orange to it, mix thoroughly and store in a jar with a close fitting lid. Before applying this mixture, wash your leg with warm water then use a pumice stone to remove dry and dead skin from the cracked feet. Leave the mixture for about 40-45 minutes and wash off. It can also be applied overnight. Do this twice a day.
- Petroleum jelly and lemon foot mask: Petroleum jelly popularly known as Vaseline is an oil based emollient that repels water and prevents the skin from drying out. This type of emollients helps replace fat by filling in gaps in between skin cells just like the cracks in your feet. The acetic properties of lemon juice exfoliate your skin to drop off dead skin and replace them with soft and smooth skin. How to use this mixture;
Mix a tablespoon of petroleum jelly with the juice from an entire lemon. Soak your feet in warm water for 10 minutes, dry properly and apply the mixture. Make sure you fill the cracks with this mixture and massage properly. It’s best to leave this mixture overnight.
- Cooked rice water soak: This is the water discarded while parboiling your rice; it is sometimes called rice starch. It is full of nutrients such as folate, phosphorous, zinc, Vitamin C, A, E and many others. These vitamins are good for the skin and help in promoting growth of new cells to give you soft smooth feet. The deficiency of certain nutrients such as zinc and Omega 3 fatty acids can lead to cracked feet, so soaking your feet in rice water can help in the absorption of the zinc present in it. How to use;
Boil rice in other to get its starchy water, put about 5 to 6 cups of the starchy water in a foot basin and add a tablespoon of baking soda. Baking soda is a good exfoliating agent and will slough away dead cells on the feet. Soak your feet in this mixture for 20 minutes. Wash your feet with ordinary water, pat dry and add a moisturizing cream. This can be done daily initially then reduced to twice a week later on.
Kamdolls, do you know of other home remedies that work well for cracked feet? share with us by commenting below… xoxo